How long will a pro craps player be able to not throw a 7 on average?

How long will a pro craps player be able to not throw a 7 on average?

I know the average player is one in 7 throws.So how many throws for a pro players who makes a full time living playing craps with no other job?

What is the minimum amount of throws to make money to not throw a 7 on average?



Question posted by: Daniel N


In craps, the probability of rolling a 7 with two 6-sided dice is independent of the player’s skill level. The dice rolls are random events, and the outcome of each roll is not affected by previous rolls or the player’s expertise.

There are 6 sides on each die, resulting in 6 x 6 = 36 possible combinations when rolling two dice. There are six combinations that result in a 7: (1,6), (2,5), (3,4), (4,3), (5,2), and (6,1). The probability of rolling a 7 is 6/36, which can be reduced to 1/6.

Regardless of whether a player is a professional or a beginner, the probability of rolling a 7 on any single roll remains the same, at approximately 16.67% (1/6 x 100%).

When it comes to making money playing craps, it’s not about how long a player can avoid rolling a 7. Instead, it’s about understanding the game’s rules, odds, and making informed bets to maximize potential returns. A professional craps player will focus on managing their bankroll, using appropriate betting strategies, and knowing when to walk away from the table.


  1. The odds on throwing a seven are actually 1 in 6. Six possible sevens divided by 36 possible combinations.

    The throws for an average player or a pro are the same, unless some form of “slight of hand” is being used. The table throwing requirements in casinos makes it just about impossible to manipulate the dice. The throws are random.

  2. The odds of a seven are one in 6 on any roll of the dice if we get a fair roll. It makes no difference whether you are a “professional gambler” or a dice-setter, your odds are exactly the same, or you are cheating.

    I have seen everything, pinchers, pressers, muckers, cross-dressers, psychics, hypnotists, tempers, fists. None of it makes anyone a successful player.

    The people who make a living playing craps are actually engaged in some other activity. They are hustling other people’s dreams. They sell systems that do not really work, or they offer lessons for ridiculous prices and with ridiculous claims. They are rail-thieves or con-men.

    The minimum number of rolls of the dice that you would need in order to win is one. Just be lucky enough to bet the right number.

  3. The other answers have it nailed right on, i just feel it is important to dismiss your beleif that there is even such a thing as a professional craps player.

    There is no playing method that will give you positive returns (without cheating) in the game of craps and there is no such thing as a professional craps player.

    Dice setting is a contravercial area, stanford wong once looked into it and deemed it plausible however since then the tables have changed and now typically employ diamond shaped foam on the sides and very bouncy felts making it next to impossible to control dice.

    If you wish to become a professional gambler, you need to stick to blackjack or poker.

  4. if you want to be successful in the long term at craps, the best way is to play the don’t pass. when you play pass/come, the odds are against you. when you play don’t pass, the odds are with you.

    i made $700 the first time I ever played craps ($1 minimum, over 3 days) betting the don’t pass, even when I was rolling. the only adjustment I made was to switch my bets or take them down when somebody got hot, which happened about once per hour. usually, I would make around 3-5 bets profit per turn, and if somebody got hot, i would lose about 7 bets before switching, where I would usually make it all back before they crapped out.

    the big problem I had though was that I was a small bettor. i am still not comfortable with $100 on the table. in craps, often you will have 200-700-1k on the table. the stress was just too much for me, and I quit while I had a winning record.

    re: player: every time i played craps, i was the only one who knew how to play the don’t pass. on several occassions, the dealers were openly critical and hostile to me. in this atmosphere, it’s no surprise that people don’t play it.

    but the reason it’s a winning strategy is simple: if you play the come, all outstanding points _lose_ to a 7, when you play the don’t come, all outstanding points _win._

  5. As already stated, the probability of a seven coming up on any given roll is 1 in 6 (16.67% of the time). Similary, the probability of a seven not coming up on any given roll is 5 in 6 (83.33% of the time). Since each roll of the dice is an independent random event unrelated to any previous roll(s), there is no way to predict how long a shooter will be able to throw the dice before sevening-out, no matter who’s rolling. By way of example, if a shooter has rolled the dice 100 times without rolling a seven, what are the chances that the next roll will now be a seven? A: Still 1 in 6.

    To try and alter the random nature of the dice toss through “dice control” is a Class B Felony under Nevada statute. Don’t waste your time or money. Any “pros” that feign that ability and try to sell it to you are just felons in waiting.

    All that having been said, craps is still the best game in the house; the only game with a true 50/50 bet on the table (the Odds bet). Your ability to prevail at the table is largely a function of good betting and money management skills. And a little luck doesn’t hurt. 😉

  6. There’s no such thing as a “professional” craps player.

    Professional blackjack players and poker players have figured ways to recognize when the odds have changed, and then bet accordingly.

    But the odds in craps never change. So the house always has the advantage.

    Here’s a game: We toss a coin. If it’s heads, I pay you $4.50, but if it’s tails, you pay me $5.00. That’s how casinos make their money.

Comments are closed.